The Culture in Pakistan

Updated: Oct 18, 2021

By Sriya Krishnan

The word Pakistan is derived from the word ‘Pak’, a Persian word meaning pure and ‘Istan’, a Hindi word which means pure place or pure land. Urdu is the official language of Pakistan, while large corporate companies and the government mainly use English. 97% of the population identifies as Muslim, and the other 3% comprise of Christians, Hindus, Sikhs, etc. The majority of the population practices Islam. Muslims pray 5 times a day: dawn, noon, afternoon, sunset, and evening. On Fridays, everything is closed due to it being a holy day. Ramadan, an important aspect of the Muslim religion, takes place during the ninth month of the Islamic calendar observed as a month of fasting, prayers, reflection, and community. During Ramadan, Muslims fast from dawn to dusk and work for 6 hours a day. In addition to Ramadan, many holidays are celebrated annually. Pakistan Day is March 23, August 24 is Independence Day, and September 11 and December 15 are the death and birth of Ali Jinnah, the founder of Pakistan. Cuisine in Pakistan varies depending on geography, but some of the most common dishes are kofte (meat kebab), korma (meat or vegetables cooked in yogurt and spices), biriyani (rice dish cooked with vegetables, meat, and gravy), lentils, and roti (flatbread). Pakistan has a diverse art culture. Arabic calligraphy, which has its roots in Islam, takes years of dedication to master and is a technique used in mosaquiee pieces. Arabic calligraphy is also used on copper pieces that are decorated around family homes. Glass Chooriyan is an art form that is made with glass and other materials to make beautifully detailed bangles. Naqashi is a form of paper mache that is used to make intricate designs. The culture of Pakistan is very intricate with many religious and traditional customs and celebrations.

sources:

https://www.commisceo-global.com/resources/country-guides/pakistan-guide

https://theculturetrip.com/asia/pakistan/articles/13-things-you-should-know-about-pakistani-culture/

https://pixels.com/featured/sindhi-culture-women-working-naish-rafi-sheikh.html






20 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All